Collection: Snake Repellent Products
Which Snake Repellent Products are the Best?
Snakes in the garden or around your property can be disconcerting. Fortunately, some easy-to-apply snake repellent products exist to help keep them off your property and keep you out of harm's way. But do these snake repellent products really work?
Many snake repellent products utilize an active ingredient called Naphthalene (the same primary constituent of moth balls), which become a gas when exposed to air and have been known to cause headaches, dizziness, and irritation of the eyes and lungs. Most commercial snake repellent products have not proven effective in keeping snakes out of a treated environment.
The best approach to minimizing the presence of snakes around your property is a multi-faceted one, including some combination of the following:
- Eliminate areas around your property that might provide ideal shelter for snakes, including logs, trash piles, or areas of heavy vegetation;
- Keep tree limbs, branches, and other foliage trimmed away from the house so as not to come in direct contact with the foundation, siding, or roof. Snakes are typically excellent climbers.
- Maintain adequate seals around all doors, windows, basements, crawlspaces, attics, chimneys, and other potential points of entry;
- Consider food potential snake food sources that might exist around your property. Many snakes feed on rats, mice, and other small rodents. An aggressive rodent reduction program around your property may reduce the snake food resources and drive them out of the area;
- For active populations requiring large-scale snake removal, a professional wildlife removal company may be advisable.